The Facility Managers I know didn’t decide one day that: “Facility Management is the career choice for me”. It was more like: “Hey, this works with what I enjoy and am good at”. And by the way, I have a few friends in the field.
Never though in a thousand years did someone think they would be responsible for the upkeep and cleaning of fabric panels, was that in the job description?
From an outsider’s point of view, and from conversations and professional relationships I have with facility managers, I understand that “the job” has many different hats.
Let’s focus on the hat of asset management.
- Intense focus to keep all assets in tip top form
- Address the maintenance of assets
- Understand the cost of new
- Report to the executive management
When we drill this down to just one aspect of asset management – overseeing the cleaning and maintenance of fabric panels, all aspects of the job is engaged.
- Know the initial cost of fabric panels
- Know the current replacement cost
- Know cleaning and maintenance cost
- Know a specialty contractor experienced in cleaning fabric panels
When I think of all the assets in a facility that must be paid attention to on a regular basis, the mind boggles.
By walking through the process of maintaining fabric panels, it is possible to begin to understand what the facility manager sees and works with every day in micro and macro.
- Contact specialty cleaning contractor for quote on fabric panels
- Evaluate quote vs replacement
- Schedule whichever makes the most business sense: clean or replace
Understanding facility management from a manager’s experience and point of view: “a day in the life of” is necessary for a successful asset management program.
And YOU, the facility manager, is the one who makes all the difference!